Get to know Larisa Iordache
Often compared to fellow Romanian Nadia Comaneci, Larisa Iordache has been the star of her country’s team since her first international competition in 2010. With four World Championships medals under her belt, she is now considered one of the favourites to take the all-around title in Montréal.
- Tell us about how you started out in gymnastics.
My mother, brother and I went to the park to go rollerblading. Mariana Câmpeanu, who soon became my first coach, saw me and thought I was very energetic. She asked my mom if she would like to take me to gymnastics, and that is where it all began.
- In your opinion, what are your best qualities as an athlete? What should you work on?
This is a really tough question. Many people tell me that I am talented, but talent is not everything. If you don’t work hard enough, you won’t get the results you expect. I think everything you want to achieve comes with hard work and practice, so my goal is to overcome my own limitations every day.
- You won the bronze medal in the all-around at the 2015 Artistic Gymnastics World Championships in Glasgow. What are your best memories of this competition?
It was one of my best competitions ever. I fought until the end and I tried to enjoy every moment. It felt very good.
- What is the greatest achievement of your career as a gymnast? What are you most proud of?
I won the all-around silver medal at the World Championships in Nanning in 2014. This is one of my favourite medals, and I am very proud of it.
- What are your goals for 2017? Can we hope to see you at the World Championships in Montréal?
My main goal is to compete in every competition I can. I hope I’ll get good results and I want to continue to enjoy gymnastics.
- Have you ever been to Montréal? What are you most excited to see?
I’ve never been to Montréal.
- To know you better…
|Favourite song||Love On The Brain – Rihanna|
|Favourite TV show||I don’t have a favourite TV show. I watch anything that I find interesting.|
|Favourite food||Fried potatoes|
|An athlete you admire||Nadia Comaneci|
|A movie you can watch over and over again||Beastly (2011)|
|Favourite place on earth||Home, with the people I love|